Monday 10 August 2009

One down and five to go

I had been thinking that this day would never come. The week before had been such a relaxation, maybe somehow I would be spared the trial, perhaps it would be called off… But no… today was the first day of the West Highland Way with the Pentland Hills Explorer Unit. We met at Haymarket Station at 7:45 a.m., Freja wearing her own little backpack. Somehow the youngsters' packs looked lighter than mine. Maybe they had taken my adice on reducing the amount of clothing carried to a minimum. I wish I had done this myself. Then again, they had shared out their tents, cooking equipment and food… I was carrying all my own.

We set off and soon I had dropped behind because I had to clear up after Freja. I made haste to catch them up and was just about to follow the Way which went off to the left when I saw the last two of them disappearing ahead. First navigation error… not the last. Lunch was eaten on the lawn of a restaurant (seats only for people who bought drinks from the bar). They make no charge for filling water bottles, but do it grudgingly, even for those who have bought drinks from the bar.

Passing Drymen, Joe decided he couldn't go any further, so I had to accompany him into the village to await his father. They gave me a lift into Balmaha and after waiting for a while, I set off up Conic Hill from the other side. Just as well, because they were all very late and we decided to camp on the hill overlooking the loch… what a glorious sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment