Thursday 23 July 2009

Working to Rule


When I came home at lunch time, I found a card through the door saying that the package that I had been expecting had been taken to the Post Office in Broxburn. In the past, the postie has left parcels in the wheelie bin or under the mat and written a note to the effect. The reason for this must be that postal workers are working to rule at the moment.

And yet the envelopes that are returned to me at work as undeliverable, although they have a little red sticker attached marked 'addressee has gone away', do not have that little red sticker completely filled in. Obviously they are working to the rules they want to.

But do not think that I have it in for all postal workers. I was out cleaning my car one Saturday morning and the postie came round uncharacteristically early. I went to the gate and took the letters and he rushed off.

"You're early today," I said.

"I know," he said. "I don't have time to chat. I want to get these letters delivered before we go on strike at 9 o' clock!"

No comments:

Post a Comment